Monday, January 7, 2008

What I didn't learn in college

The other day the radio was discussing the Iowa Caucus-and why it was so important. The DJ’s did not know why. Honestly, I was not sure either. How did Iowa get selected to be first? Why not my home state of Ohio? I majored in political science AND history in college. I spent four years studying the political process and the history that supports the creation of modern politics. I don’t think I know any more then the average Joe. But I did take some historical knowledge away from my years in school…see example below.

I went to see National Treasure this past weekend. Good movie, if you are interested. There is a past of the movie where they reference the saying “Your name is Mud…” Nicholas Cage’s character poses the question that not many know the origin of that saying; I was fairly bouncing out of my movie seat-because I DO KNOW. Long story short- John Wilkes Booth, who shot President Lincoln, hurt his leg jumping from the theatre balcony after the incident. He sought out a doctor and found Dr. Mudd, who cared for him knowing nothing about the assignation. Mudd and his family were implicated in the assignation, and though to be co-conspirators. They were later cleared of all charges. Yet-we still say “Your name is Mud” as a negative against a person. This is a shining example of what I did and DID NOT learn in school.

No comments: