Monday, April 6, 2009

Introducing the Garagement

If you have talked to me in the last 6 months then its very likely you have heard me mention the "garagement." Scott is in the process of building a garage/living space and its pretty unusual. When Scott tried to explain to me the concept I was skeptical. But when I saw it it started to make sense. On a related note-the first time I saw it was our third or fourth date and a trip to Home Depot and a forklift were both involved. As I have watched him piece together all the elements its really starting to take on a life of its own.

I will do my best to describe it. First of all its a GINORMOUS garage. When you pull up...that is what you notice first. Upon entering you realize its so much MORE then a garage. Up the stairs is a very urban living space. Its the perfect blend of man cave meets modern decor. I think its what would happen if a urban industrial loft met a shy country log cabin and they fell in love and had dwelling babies. Its a perfect mix of the two.

Its best described in pics. And there will be many more of these to come:)




Here is a shot of the outside from a couple of months ago. The pic doesn't do the color justice-its very nice.
Here is the inside from just a week or two ago. I am going to try to get a better pic to capture just how vast the space is. For perspective-I took this from the corner of the garage near the steps to the "garagement." It only shows two bays-and there are four in total. Its also deeper then it looks here. Scott deserves a special electrical shout out here too. He did all those lights himself. For some reason the electrical work was like a sedative for me so I wasnt very good company as he did this part. I kept nodding off;)
Here is the view from the entryway into what will be the living room/ kitchen. A few design notes. The walls are covered with rough hewn wood that is paneled. In this pic it looks like plywood-but it has dimension in real life. The ceiling is covered in corrugated metal. This is one of my favorite parts. I thought it would be weird but its cool in reality. The floors are also a rough hewn pine I think? Scott has done all of this himself...its been really fascinating to watch. He has been patient and tolerated my million questions on any and all topics that popped up as I sat and watched.
Here is what the floors look like as they were stained.
Here is a final look at the surfaces...the stain on the floor turned out so well.

No comments: