Sunday, February 22, 2009

What a Hoot!

I had a cupcake part yesterday afternoon to try out my new cookbook-Hello Cupcake!

http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Cupcake-Irresistibly-Playful-Creations/dp/0618829253/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235318360&sr=8-1

This book is FULL of the most creative decorating ideas. I had Jen, Patterson, Megan and Katherine over to try our hands at 4 of the designs. We tried the owl, creepy crawlers, sunflowers and butterflies. Everyone brought some design elements (from Oreos to M&M's) and we went at it over a bottle of wine and pot of chili. It was so much fun-and even better what we created was AWESOME. Seriously I was very impressed with our design masterpieces. Its best described in pictures:

Our first cupcake attempt was the sunflowers. This required a specific "petal" icing technique which I am not ashamed to say I was HORRIBLE at. Jen, Megan and Katherine rocked at it though. So they were on petal patrol while Patterson and either watched or made teeny. tiny ladybugs for the top of the flowers. Here is Jen trying to show me how to do the icing.


Here is Katherine showing off her mad skills.
Jen and I posing with the finished product. Seriously-don't they look nice??

Patterson and Katherine posing as well. PS-Megan had to leave early, that's why shes not in photos.


Finished product close up. Please pay attention to the fruit roll up leaves on the flowers- I was in charge of cutting those out:)
Next we took on the owls. These little guys turned out ADORABLE. Here is the entire flock-lining up for their close up.

Patterson posing with one of her favorites.

And this little guy was my attempt at owltasticness.
Here is a single owl-in detail.
Next we moved on to what we determined would be the more difficult decorating challenge. We melted chocolate and drew these bugs and then inserted candies for the bodies. When I say we here I mean Jen. She was the one with a steady hand. Note their are no action shots of her doing it-I was afraid to distract her, she really had to concentrate. Patterson, Katherine and I put together the bodies once she finished the detail work. These were time consuming-but I was really jazzed with how they turned out.

Our last project was butterflies. This is not the most perfect example-but you can get the idea. Katherine free handed these-but the chocolate dried so quickly it was tough. We also had our first minor "meltdown" on this cupcake. The bag of chocolate Katherine was using to outline the butterflies exploded. It was funny. I don't have pictures-but we all had a good laugh.
Here is Katherine concentrating as she sprinkles the wings of the butterflies before they dried. Her artistic abilities shined!!
Here is Jen with her bounty of cupcakes. She later let me know that her family was most impressed:)
Here is a shot of all the cupcakes together. Adorable nation!!

No comments: