Thursday, February 7, 2008

Sometimes a Cause Finds You...

I did not grow up with dogs. My parents did not get their first dog until I left for college. They slowly but very solidly became a dog family...adding pet children everytime one of their grown children moved out. When I struck out my own I knew I wanted a dog, and soon. I wanted something small...and fluffly-so I adopted Bailey. He was not a puppy-but he was perfect. When I graduated out of apartments and into my own home I knew I wanted a puppy. I looked at shelters-and found Molly. She was labeled a mix. As she grew it became evident she is a lab/ pitt mix. And she too is perfect.


Her breed gets a horrible rap. People ask me at the park and Petsmart if she is vicious. Sometimes it makes me sad, or angry...or outraged. People have a preconceived notion of her breed-and for some legitimate reasons. There are stories about pitt bull attacks and dog fighting rings. Many cities outlaw people from owning pit bulls. Most shelters won't adopt these dogs out-they are put down instead. When the Michael Vick story broke it literally brought me to tears. I still get upset just thinking about it. As an aside- I read a wonderful story today about the dogs rescued from M. Vick and his thug cowhorts. Its a wonderful read: http://network.bestfriends.org/pitbullspecialfeature/news/22444.html

Breed specific rulings and legislation has not always been on my radar. But now I am Molly's mom and she is my cause. I take her as many places as I can. I work with her on obedience so that she always knows I am in charge (more or less.) I want her to be a shining example of how a bully breed can be a wonderful family pet. Tough looking dogs are most of the time just tough looking. They are huge marshmallows on the inside...and they deserve more then a huge breed prejudice to make their lives more difficult.


Molly at 6 weeks old....ADORABLE
Molly outside after a summer day in the pool....

Asleep after a long day.....

Many of her best pics are in bed...she is a Hollywood starlet in the making....
Molly Francis waiting for her ball to be tossed...AGAIN...

No comments: