Saturday, March 13, 2010

Monkey does hard time, Dresser Before and After

Here is a quick catch up via pictures. Enjoy!!

I come home to toys all over the house almost every day. I find them on my bed, under the bed and in all spots in between. The other day I came home to his. It appears Monkey was misbehaving while I was at work and was put in a bit of "time-out" if you will.

Here he is in relation to the other toys in the basket. It appears his punishment worked since he has not made a peep since this infraction:)
Bailey got this sweater for Christmas as well and I think he looks awfully dapper in it.
I bought this dresser a couple of years ago with every intention of refinishing it. Time slipped away. About 6 months ago my mom and I went and picked out paint...which is step one. I didn't really want to change the color much because I liked the weather grey...I just wanted it cleaner looking. This is the before.
I started sanding it by hand and realized VERY quickly that I was going to need some tougher tools. I knew paint stripper was the best solution so after an hour and many pieces of sand paper off I went to pick up some caustic chemicals. Woohooo I heart chemical assistance!
I made some serious progress, but soon realized this thing had three coats of paint over an oil based paint which was layer four. I really only needed to get it smooth enough for a new coat of paint so I wasn't to be deterred.
The drawers lined up like soldiers.
Here is an after of the same dresser with shiny new grey/blue paint and wonderful knobs. The official AFTER:
Here is a close up of the knobs...please excuse the minor crookedness. I didn't realize that until the pics hit my computer. By this time I didn't care so much. They are a clear swirled knob from Antropologie. I love them.

The entire process of fixing the dresser took HOURS. But its done and I love it. Bailey and Molly spent most of the time I was working curled up on the chair. They do have it rough;)

2 comments:

shelly conyngham said...

the dresser looks great. I really like the knobs you picked out. One more task out of the way. What's next on the list?

I Do Declare said...

Dresser looks fantastic - and I love the doggy sweater!