Friday, January 29, 2010

Before an "Epic Snow Storm" in E. Tennessee

I did not grow up in the South and have only lived here full time since 1998. Prior to that I attended college here for a couple of years. Suffice to say I have been here for while, but do not consider myself a true Southerner. I am more a Midwesterner-I grew up in NW Ohio. Land of lake effect snow and freezing cold temps. I don't miss it often-but I remember it and how we simply continued on. Don't worry-I will try to refrain from references to how I hiked to the bus stop through snowdrifts over my knees (even though I did.) I will also not go on about my bus with no heat where I wore mittens on my feet to keep them warm-ish(also true.) Snow was a part of life. Lots of it. Often from October through the end of March.

Molly in my parents NW Ohio backyard. Her first experience with the white stuff. December 2006.

The drifts on my parents back porch. They had to shovel a path for the dogs to reach the backyard.
The backyard.
Drifts that were likely up to my thighs.
One thing that boggles my mind every winter is how people react to inclement weather. Even the threat of inclement weather is enough to empty the grocery store shelves and throw everyone into crisis mode. With good reason-we don't get much snow. The last time we got 6-8 inches of snow was January of 1996. I remember it well. I was in college and the whole city, including the school, shut down for close to a week. No classes. No traffic on the streets. It was like Armageddon. It was FANTASTIC!!

Starting in a few hours we are expecting another "epic snow event." A storm system that stretches from Texas to the Atlantic Ocean. We could get 3-8 inches. Schools are of course cancelled for today-and not a drop of rain or snowflake has been sighted yet. Its so very funny. I don't hate snow. I would love for it to snow! I want to go sledding (haven't been since '96.) And I would like to be holed up in front of the fire for a day or two eating cookies and warm comfort foods.

Here's hoping/wishing/ dreading what could be coming our way. :)

No comments: